FTI produces thousands of different fiber optic fiber optic bundles (also called flexible light pipes or light guides) using multimode step index glass, plastic, and silica (quartz) fiber for all markets we serve.
Multimode Fiber Optics
Multimode fiber optic cables feature a larger core, typically 30-200 micrometers. This allows multiple modes of light to propagate. The large active area provides significantly increased throughput over single mode fibers. Both step index and graded index fiber types are offered for multimode applications.
Typical single and bifurcated flexible light guides
Standard flexible light pipes (Light guides, Bundles) have the following options:
- Your choice of fiber type:
- “Plastic” fiber used for the best color rendition and the brightest white light. (.5 and .6NA)
- “Glass” fiber used in fiber optic cables and light guides for best results with solid state silicon IR emitters and detectors. .55 or .66 NA typical, other NAs available)
- Silica fiber typically used when the target spectrum is outside the visible range. (.22 or .37NA)
- Stainless steel construction:
- The jacketing and all end fittings for our flexible light pipes are made from 300 series stainless steel for maximum fiber protection and long, trouble free service.
- 300 degree C epoxy. (Typical)
- High temperature epoxy enables each end to be usable up to 1100°F continuously.
- Swaged end fittings create secure connection to the bundle’s sheathing.
- Machine polishing on all fiber faces ensures the best light output in the industry.
- Standard Lengths: 1,2,3,4,5,6,8,10,20,30 Feet. (.3,.6,.9,1.2,1.5,1.8,3,6,9M)
Flexible Light Pipe Options
Have a special application for flexible fiber optic light guides? You may change the length, sheathing material, bundle diameter and fiber type. You may also specify custom fittings for either or both ends. Any flexible light pipe may have the fibers randomized for optimal uniformity.
Finally, assemblies required for high heat, vacuum or pressure applications can be produced, but require special consideration.
Applications for Fiber Optic Bundles
Our flexible light pipes are use in a wide variety of applications for the following segments:
a. Laser applications
⦁ Machine Vision